Song Analysis

3:07 PM Edit This 0 Comments »
All I Have to do is Dream


The world famous husband and wife song writing team Boudleaux and Felice Bryant was a talented duo who wrote many huge hits for the Everly Brothers and other artists. One song in particular that was a huge hit for the Everly Brothers written by Boudleaux was All I Have to do is Dream. This song contains a good amount of poetic devices demonstrating Bryant’s natural song writing ability.


All I Have to do I s Dream contains some basic poetic devices used in a sophisticated manner. The lines “Drea-ea-ea-ea-eam, dream, dream, dream” and “When I want you in my arms” are two basic examples of alliterations. The alliterations in this song help to express what the singer is feeling. “Only trouble is, gee whiz I'm dreamin' my life away” this line is a hyperbole because it is saying that he is dreaming so often that he is dreaming his life away but that is an over statement because he is not dreaming every minute of every day of his life. Another example of a hyperbole is in the line “I need you so, that I could die”; here he is saying that he needs this person so much that he could die without that person which is not true because it is impossible to die from not being able to be with someone. Some other poetic devices used in this song are metaphor in the line “I can make you mine, taste your lips of wine” by saying this persons lips are made of wine. There is also imagery in “taste your lips of wine”, motif in “Drea-ea-ea-ea-eam, dream, dream, dreamDrea-ea-ea-ea-eam, dream, dream, dream”, and a rhyme scheme in “When I feel blue in the night; And I need you to hold me tight” and throughout the whole song.


All the poetic devices used in this song benefit it in many ways. The hyperbole's especially make the song better because they help to express the passion the singer has for this person in a sweet and romantic way.

0 comments: